Sunday 6 November 2016

This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1) by V. E. Schwab: Review

Author: V. E. Schwab
Genre: Young Adult, Dystopian 
Originally Published: July 5, 2016
Pages: 464
Price: Hardback is nowhere to be found
            £5.99 (Paperback on Amazon)
            £3.79 (Kindle Edition)
Publisher: Titan Books Ltd
Series: Monsters of Verity
Source: Bought

About the book:
Kate Harker and August Flynn are the heirs to a divided city, a grisly metropolis where the violence has begun to create real and deadly monsters. All Kate wants is to be as ruthless as her father, who lets the monsters roam free and makes the inhabitants pay for his protection. August just wants to be human, as good-hearted as his own father but his curse is to be what the humans fear. The thin truce that keeps the Harker and Flynn families at peace is crumbling, and an assassination attempt forces Kate and August into a tenuous alliance. But how long will they survive in a city where no one is safe and monsters are real...

My review:
All aboard the mixed feeling train! Choo, choo!




There were things I really enjoyed in this book. There were also things I really didn't like. Don't you hate it when that happens! Plus most of the bits I didn't like were near the end of the book, which left a pretty sour taste in my mouth. Which is a real shame, because I really thought I was going to like it. 



The thing I loved most about 'This Savage Song' was August. HOW CUTE CAN A CHARACTER BE?!? I completely fell in love with him, and I'm pretty sure everyone else who's read this did too. Unfortunately, I liked Kate a little less. I feel like she was just a character, if anyone knows what I mean. I didn't have any feelings for her. If she died, I wouldn't have cared much at all. Maybe it's because I can't relate to her, or maybe she's underdeveloped, I don't know... feel the same? Or is it just me?


The other thing I really love about this book was its storyline. If only it wasn't as predictable as it was. I enjoyed what happened, I just wish there was more suspense to it. I could guess who was going to die about halfway through, it's similar to when you watch a horror film and you can guess who is going to be killed off before it happens, it isn't bad when it happens, it would just be better if it was more of a surprise. 

Which leads me perfectly onto the final thing I don't particularly like. The ending DRAGGED. And dragged in capital is still and understatement. Schwab could have cut a dozen things out of the last few chapters and it wouldn't have impacted the story in any way. August must have been having a bath for about 2 chapters. The death that happens was also, as I said before, super predictable, which was made worse by the fact it took so long to get to. And, as it was the ending, it left a really sour taste in my mouth, which is a real shame.

But after picking the poor book apart, I'm definitely going to be reading the sequel 'Our Dark Duet' when it comes out next year. I'm really excited to hear how August's story develops! He's definitely my new fictional bae.


Have you read 'Our Savage Song' yet? Did you fall in love with August too? Which of Sschwab's series' is your favourite? Let's talk about it in the comments!

Follow me! Twitter          Instagram

Contact me! theintrovertswonderland@gmail.com







monthly funko pop vinyls


2 comments:

  1. Firstly, I'm confused... how did you buy this book if it was published on May 2017? o.O

    Anyway, hm... I think I'll give this one a pass because of the dragged ending. Definitely not a fan of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, I copied the wrong date down! I can't believe I didn't notice!

      And yeah the ending was really annoying, but, for me at least, August made it totally worth it! :P <- Plus why aren't emojis an option on computers, I haven done a face like that in years!

      Delete