Saturday 26 November 2016

The Dog Who Dared to Dream by Sun-Mi Hwang: Review

Author: Sun-Mi Hwang
30651306Genre: Fiction
Originally Published: 2012
Pages: 169
Price: £7.99 (Paperback from Amazon)
          £3.99 (Kindle Edition)
Publisher: Abacus
Series: Standalone
Source: Bought

About the book (Taken from Goodreads):
This is the story of a dog named Scraggly. Born an outsider because of her distinctive appearance, she spends most of her days in the sun-filled yard of her owner's house. Scraggly has dreams and aspirations just like the rest of us. But each winter, dark clouds descend and Scraggly is faced with challenges that she must overcome. Through the clouds and even beyond the gates of her owner's yard lies the possibility of friendship, motherhood and happiness - they are for the taking if Scraggly can just hold on to them, bring them home and build the life she so desperately desires.

My mini review:
I'm so glad I decided to read this! I bought it back in August solely because wanted to walk out of Waterstones with 10 books instead of 9 (ewww odd numbers), and I remember that this was tucked away in a mostly unnoticed corner of Waterstones. I only bought this book in particular because I thought the cover looked pretty. I had no idea it was going to move me as much as it did.

It's a relatively short story that I managed to read in a day or two, but it packs in so much!  It tells the life story of  a little dog named Scraggly. Scraggly's a dog that's used for breeding, and it was really interesting to discover life from her eyes, as millions of dogs go through the same stuff. And if you don't already know, I'm a massive animal lover, so I lapped that shit up. This book reinforced the reasons why I'm a vegetarian. Other than the fact I wanted to do some serious damage to that hen 😊.

I never expected that this book would make me cry! I bawled my eyes out for the last few chapters, which was massively unexpected! It was that damn cat that set me off... then I just couldn't stop!

I'd definitely recommend this book. It's short, it's sweet, it's one of the cheaper books at Waterstones, it's immensely good for animal lovers and it's also translated from Korean too! So what are you waiting for?

Have you read 'The Dog Who Dared To Dream' or any of Hwang's other novels? Read any other books that were translated? Any other animal lovers in the house? Let's talk about it in the comments!


Follow me! Twitter          Instagram

Contact me! theintrovertswonderland@gmail.com




1 comment:

  1. This sounds really good. Definitely not much of an animal lover but I'll try to check this one out. I've read Battle Royale, a translated book and enjoyed it so I'm hoping to enjoy this one, too.

    ReplyDelete