Sunday 11 September 2016

All That Glitters (Geek Girl, #4) by Holly Smale: Review

23296910
Author: Holly Smale
Genre: Young Adult Fiction
Originally Published: February 26, 2015
Pages: 456
Price: £10.99 (Hardback from Amazon)
          £3.85 (Paperback from Amazon)
          £4.99 (Kindle Edition)
Publisher: Harper Collins
Series: Geek Girl
Source: Bought

About the book (Taken from the blurb):
Harriet Manners knows many things:
~ Toliet roll was invented by the Chinese in 600AD
~ A comet's tail always points away from the sun
~The average healthy heart beats 70 times per minute. Even when it's broken.

But she knows nothing about making new friends at Sixth Form. Or why even her old friends seem to be avoiding her. And she knows even less about being a glittering supermodel success. Which she nor is - apparently.
Has Harriet's time to shine like a star finally arrived, or is she about to crash and burn?

My review:
Tears. Actual tears. Everywhere. I miss Nick. I miss when the Geek Girl books were light-hearted. I though I cried a lot when I finished the last one, but that was nothing compared to this one. This is, by far, the most heart-breaking thing I've ever read. Ever. Help.

Oh, Harriet. My heart goes out to you, lass. At times I felt like this was the story of my past, minus the modelling, obviously. When you try too hard to fit in and you end up pushing everyone away, I've been there too Harriet, I've been there too. I feel like nobody could ever be prepared for this book. I don't know if it's just me, but this hit home real hard. It's beautifully written and thoroughly heart-wrenching.

It's not my favourite in the series, that still goes to #2, Model Misfit, but this is pretty damn close. Model Misfit didn't make me cry. Model Misfit didn't take Nick away from me. Model Misfit gave me some new friends. Model Misfit was fun. Model Misfit didn't leave me only able to form short sentences.
 I honestly don't know what else to say...

This was all I could write in my notes once I'd finished reading. I couldn't bring myself to write anymore. Plus, the crying girl is me in case you didn't gather that. 

I guess I'm going to go on to the conclusion then? The conclusion to the worst review ever... I finished this book 2 weeks ago and the feels are still as raw as they were when I finished it. I don't want to say too much about why it's so sad because I don't want to ruin this amazing book for anyone. If you haven't read this book yet then you really need to. If you haven't read any books in the series yet then you really really need to. Harriet is such a role-model! She taught me to always be myself, even if nobody seems to like you. That's what the key message of this book is: always be yourself because there will always be someone out there who will love you for you. And who doesn't need to hear that?


Have you read all the books in this series? Did you cry? What did you learn from Harriet? Let me know in the comments!

Don't forget to check out my slightly less teary review for 'Geek Girl 3: Picture Perfect'! You can find it here!


Follow me! Twitter          Instagram

Contact me! theintrovertswonderland@gmail.com




No comments:

Post a Comment