Sunday 3 July 2016

Picture Perfect (Geek Girl, #3) by Holly Smale: Review

Author: Holly Smale
Originally Published: June 5, 2014
Genre: Young-Adult Novel, Comedy
Publisher: Harper Collins Children's Books
Pages: 408    (Excluding Acknowledgements)
Source: Bought
Series: Geek Girl
Price: £6.00 (Hardback from Amazon)
           £3.85  (Paperback from Amazon)
           £3.99  (From iBooks)

About the book (Taken from the blurb):
Harriet Manners knows that:


  • New York is the most populous city in the United States.
  • Its official motto is 'Ever Upward'.
  • 27% of Americans believe we never landed on the moon.
But she has no idea how her family will cope Stateside. Or how to 'become a brand' as the models in New York put it. And, even more importantly, what to do when the big romantic gestures aren't coming from her boyfriend...
Does geek girl go too far this time?

My review:
Wow. Just wow. That's all I can say for the moment after staying up till 3am finishing this book. The plot hits you like a whirlwind and you're left spinning until it spits you out at the end in euphoria. Wow. 

This book it the third instalment in the 'Geek Girl' book series and it does not disappoint. Well, I tell a lie, I was a little disappointed in the first 20 chapters (out of 88 chapters) as the beginning of this book was almost identical to the end of the first book and the beginning of the second book, which annoyed me enough to tell my friend, in detail, about it, even though she didn't have a clue what I was talking about. The writing wasn't bad, it just wasn't what I wanted. But Smale turned it around so dramatically it almost made me forget all about it. 

Harriet is such a relatable and in-depth character that you feel is your best friend by the end of the book. You feel like you are completely in her shoes! You feel her embarrassment, you feel her worries, you feel her heartache and you feel her joy when things go according to plan, which isn't very often. She is beautifully crafted and Smale never loses track of her personality, which is what I normally see in books that belong to a series. 

You also see a completely different side to some of the existing characters, such as her boyfriend, Nick Hidaka, which, no spoilers, made me cry ALOT.

To conclude, this book will annoy you, this book will make you laugh, this book will make you cry and this book will swiftly become one of your favourite books of all time.Who doesn't want that from a book? And don't worry if you haven't read the first two, you can slot right in and still enjoy this book, even if some parts go over your head. So, what are you waiting for! Read away nerdlings.

Follow me!
Twitter          Instagram      

Contact me!

theintrovertswonderland@gmail.com   

Don't forget to subscribe to my blog! I put out a new review every Sunday and have a weekly Top 5 Tuesday! E-Mail subscription bar is at the bottom of the page, or there is a button at the top!         





monthly funko pop vinyls

2 comments:

  1. It's great to see another Geek Girl fan! Man, I really enjoyed this but it made me feel that Harriet didn't really deserve Nick, ya know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww I wouldn't say that! Harriet and Nick are great together! She just tried to make him happy *Que outburst of tears*...

      (Plus yep, I ADORE the Geek Girl series, but I'm too scared to read book #5 becuase of the trauma that came with book #4 :P)

      Delete