Sunday 26 June 2016

The Picture Of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde: Review

Author: Oscar Wilde
Originally Published: June 20, 1980
Genre: Philosophical Fiction
Publisher: Lippincott's Monthly Magazine
Pages: 229
Source: Bought
Series: Standalone
Price: £8.99 (Hardback from Amazon)
           £1.99 (Paperback from Amazon)
           Free (From iBooks)

About the book (taken from iBooks):
Dorian is a good-natured young man until he discovers the power of his own exceptional beauty. As he gradually sinks into a deep frivolous, glamorous world of selfish luxury, he apparently remains physically unchanged by the stresses of his corrupt lifestyle and untouched by age. But up in his attic, hidden behind a curtain, his portrait tells a different story. 

My review:
Now this story was a roller coaster ride! It had heights of absolutely sensational uses of descriptive language, interesting personalities for the characters and the suspenseful tone that, at times, keeps you at the edge of your seat. But, like a roller coaster, it also dips, like containing some of the most boring  paragraphs I have ever read or by repeating the same ideas over and over and over again. Yes, I know Dorian has been corrupted, you don't have to tell me hundreds of times! I get it! However, the character development of Dorian is quite remarkable, which is probably why the book reminds you so often! He begins as a charming young lad that is blissfully unaware of his own beauty and with mannerisms that make you laugh out loud. These thoughts later on die and you are left with a cold-hearted Dorian who manipulates his friends and leaves them in the lowest wrung of society. The friends that remain, however, Basil Hallward and Lord Henry Watton quite remarkably represent the good and the evil in Dorian's mind. Basil is a pretty boring, but innocent, painter that is utterly obsessed with everything Dorian Gray and uses him to perfect his art. Lord Henry is a horribly cynical man that  is the one responsible for the corruption of Dorian's mind, as Basil puts it, and is also responsible for the majority of my boredom whilst reading this book. He often has rants that take up half a chapter on things that have already been said. But, some of his rants, particularly the one in the second chapter on youth, will resonate deeply within you and result in you having a similar reaction to Dorian; having a complete mental breakdown for a little while.

To conclude, the book is a great read. Of course it is, it's a classic! And even though the book does get a little slow at times, the atmosphere it creates and the state of mind it puts you in is out of this world. So do I recommend it? Yes, I do. It's a charming little story that isn't too long and leaves no doubt in my mind that it deserves it's 'classics' status. So, what are you waiting for! Read away, nerdlings.
Follow me!
Twitter        Instagram        Snapchat

Contact me!
theintrovertswonderland@gmail.com

Don't forget to subscribe to my blog! I put out a new review every Sunday and have a weekly Top 5 Tuesday! E-Mail subscription bar is at the bottom of the page, or there is a button at the top!


monthly funko pop vinyls

2 comments:

  1. This book is one of my all time favourite. I found Lord Henry's speeches very interesting ! He's so awful ! His conception of love made me widen my eyes but it was so entertaining !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking back on it, I think I'd have to agree with you! Most of his speeches were amazingly thought provoking! It was just the odd one or two that were really boring... I'm pretty sure one even made me go to sleep! I don't read many classics, but I was very glad I decided to read this one!

      Delete