Sunday 17 July 2016

Percy Jackson and the Lightening Thief (Percy Jackson & The Olympians, #1) by Rick Riordan: Review

Author: Rick Riordan
Originally Published: March 1, 2006
Genre: Fantasy, Young Adult Fiction
Publisher: Puffin
Pages: 384 
Source: Bought
Series: Percy Jackson & The Olympians
Price: £12.03 (Library Binding from Amazon)
           £3.85    (Paperback from Amazon)
           £4.99    (From iBooks)

About the book (Taken from the blurb):
Look, I didn't want to be a half-blood. I never asked to be the son of a greek God. I was just a normal kid, going to school, playing basketball, skateboarding. The usual. Until I accidentally vaporised my maths teacher. Now I spend my time battling monsters and generally trying to stay alive. This is the one where Zeus, God of the sky thinks I've stolen his lightning bolt - and making Zeus angry is a very bad idea. 

My review:
I thought I was prepared to go into this as I've seen the movie a billion times. I mean, I'd go as far as to say that it is one of my favourite movies of all time. But trust me,  I was not prepared ... MUCH LIKE PERCY! (I'm sorry, I couldn't resist...)

The movie and the book were vastly different which made for a pleasant surprise! Probably the best part of both the movie and the book, which luckily remained the same, was the chemistry between the three main characters, Percy, Annabeth and Grover. The relationship builds up gradually, which I think makes for a much more interesting story. They disagree, just like normal friends would, they pick on each other, just like normal friends would. They have very normal relationships, which I love!

The only real negative to this book is the lack of build up to fights. Most of the time, Percy turns round, there's a monster, and he fights it. Then he moves a bit ,there's a monster, and he fights it. On and on and on. I'd just love for there to be a bit more meat on the confrontations the trio encounters as they are all over and done with so quickly!

To wrap this up, the book was great, and I'd recommend it to anyone that likes Young - Adult novels, and I'll definitely be reading the next one in the series. You may even learn something new about ancient Greek mythology, which is always fun! So what are you waiting for?  Read away nerdlings.

Do you agree with my review? Prefer the book or the movie? Have you finished this 5 book series yet? Comment down below what you think!
You can find the review for the second book in the series, Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters, here!

Follow me!
Twitter          Instagram          

Contact me!
theintrovertswonderland@gmail.com

Don't forget to subscribe to my blog! I put out a new review every Sunday and have a weekly Top 5 Tuesday! E-Mail subscription bar is at the bottom of the page, or there is a button at the top!










monthly funko pop vinyls

No comments:

Post a Comment