Tuesday 27 December 2016

Holding up the Universe by Jenifer Niven: Review

28686840Author: Jenifer Niven
Originally Published: October 6, 2016
Genre: Young-adult, Romance
Publisher: Penguin
Pages: 388
Source: Bought
Series: Standalone
Price: £3.99 (Paperback from Amazon)
          £4.99 (Kindle Edition)

Triggers: Fat shaming, Racism, Dying, Medical procedures - not graphic, 

About the book (Taken from Goodreads):

Everyone thinks they know Libby Strout, the girl once dubbed “America’s Fattest Teen.” But no one’s taken the time to look past her weight to get to know who she really is. Following her mum’s death, she’s been picking up the pieces in the privacy of her home, dealing with her heartbroken father and her own grief. Now, Libby’s ready: for high school, for new friends, for love, and for every possibility life has to offer. In that moment, I know the part I want to play here at MVB High. I want to be the girl who can do anything. 

Everyone thinks they know Jack Masselin, too. Yes, he’s got swagger, but he’s also mastered the impossible art of giving people what they want, of fitting in. What no one knows is that Jack has a newly acquired secret: he can’t recognise faces. Even his own brothers are strangers to him. He’s the guy who can re-engineer and rebuild anything, but he can’t understand what’s going on with the inner workings of his brain. So he tells himself to play it cool: Be charming. Be hilarious. Don’t get too close to anyone.



Until he meets Libby. When the two get tangled up in a cruel high school game—which lands them in group counselling and community service—Libby and Jack are both pissed, and then surprised. Because the more time they spend together, the less alone they feel. Because sometimes when you meet someone, it changes the world, theirs and yours.


My review:
I both love and hate this book. Mostly hate but hear me out. I love it because it's put the spotlight on a  neurological disorder not many people know about (including me). I like it because it's character development isn't bad. It's alright because the high school is pretty realistic...? That's pretty much all the positives. Yep.

The thing that I really hate is the completely unnecessary romance. There is absolutely no need for it. At first, I shipped Libby and Jack liked most others because they seemed to match. But did they? Was I really basing a ship on the fact they both have problems? Jack has a rare neurological disorder that makes him sad. Libby is fat and that makes her sad. Does that mean they have chemistry? No. So I cast the ship aside. And because it was obvious they were going to end up together, I waited for something juicer to really get the ship going. But it never happened. I thought 'surely Niven isn't putting these two together just because of those completely unrelated problems?' But yep, she did.

Libby's character is weak. By the end, I didn't care about her much at all. She based her self-worth on men's approval several times. Does this have to be a thing in EVERY young adult book? That trope is seriously past its sell-by date. The only things I can recall about Libby is that she's fat, she likes to dance thing and that damn book. These are her only personality points and that, by my standards, is pretty poor. Jack has a little bit more meat to his bones and is more enjoyable to read about. He actually worries about more than himself. The way he acts with his brothers is just too cute! Plus the fact he's smart enough to build a robot is really hot 😂.

So, to conclude, I wouldn't read this if I were you. I don't think it's a very nice book. There must be so many other, better, books out there that deal with mental illnesses. One's that don't come off as insensitive, or one's that don't have forced romances. Any suggestions?



Did you enjoy this book? Enjoy any of Niven's other standalones? Have a favourite book that deals with mental health? Let me know in the comments!


Follow me! Twitter          Instagram

Contact me! theintrovertswonderland@gmail.com








1 comment:

  1. Hm, I've recently picked this up from the library and really wanted to read it because I've been seeing the cover. But now... I don't think I'm interested anymore. *sigh* Back to the library it will go!

    ReplyDelete