Sunday 15 January 2017

Human Universe (Wonders of Brian Cox, #4) by Brian Cox and Andrew Cohen: Review

24803451Author: Brian Cox and Andrew Cohen
Genre: Science, Non-Fiction
Pages: 288
Published: September 11, 2014
Publisher: William Collins
Price: £5.84   (Paperback from the Book Depository)
          £17.46 (Hardback from the Book Depository) 
          £4.99   (Kindle Edition)
Series: Wonders of Brian Cox
Source: Bought

Trigger Warnings: None


About the book, taken from Amazon:

Human Universe tackles some of the greatest questions that humans have asked to try and understand the very nature of ourselves and the Universe in which we live.
Through the endless leaps of human minds, it explores the extraordinary depth of our knowledge today and where our curiosity may lead us in the future. With groundbreaking insight, it reveals how time, physics and chemistry came together to create a creature that can wonder at its own existence, blessed with an unquenchable thirst to discover not just where it came from, but how it can think, where it is going and if it is alone.
Accompanies the acclaimed BBC TV series.


My review:

Man, this book was awesome! It's my first time reading a non-fiction book of this sort, and I had no idea what to expect. Well, I sort of did... I knew that it could go one of two ways: I could be completely hooked, or it could bore the daylights out of me. And I think it did its fair share of both.

Three of the sections were amazing. They were beautifully written, compelling and incredibly inspiring. With the best, in my opinion, being 'Why are we here?'. 'Why are we here?' explained how we are each important, as we are a result ridiculously small odds and thousands of years of evolution, yet we are each insignificant in the grand scheme of things. The chance of you walking this earth is one in a billion, yet new babies are born every day, so it can't be that remarkable that you exist. The discussion that happened in this section was one of the most thought-provoking things I've ever read.

The only thing that I didn't particularly like about 'Human Universe' was its habit to leave me behind. I've only had a few months of A-Level study, so I didn't understand quite a lot of the things discussed, but that's definitely more my fault than the books. And due to my mind wondering to other things, rather than trying to understand material beyond my level, I had to reread many chapters. This happened quite often in the 'Are we alone?' and 'Who are we?' sections. I'll be sure to reread 'Human Universe' when I've studied the material in more depth.



Have you read 'Human Universe? Read any of  Brian Cox's other books? Have any non-fiction book recommendations? Let me know in the comments!



Follow me! Twitter          Instagram

Contact me! theintrovertswonderland@gmail.com









No comments:

Post a Comment