Sunday 23 October 2016

Nevernight (The Nevernight Chronicle, #1) by Jay Kristoff: Review

Author: Jay Kristoff
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy
Originally Published: August 9, 2016
Pages: 429
Price: £9.09 (Hardback from Amazon)
          Paperback not yet released
          £7.99 Kindle Edition
Publisher: Harper Voyager
Series: The Nevernight Chronicle
Source: Bought

About the book (Taken from Goodreads):
In a land where three suns almost never set, a fledgeling killer joins a school of assassins, seeking vengeance against the powers who destroyed her family.Daughter of an executed traitor, Mia Corvere is barely able to escape her father’s failed rebellion with her life. Alone and friendless, she hides in a city built from the bones of a dead god, hunted by the Senate and her father’s former comrades. But her gift for speaking with the shadows leads her to the door of a retired killer, and a future she never imagined.Now, Mia is apprenticed to the deadliest flock of assassins in the entire Republic—the Red Church. If she bests her fellow students in contests of steel, poison and the subtle arts, she’ll be inducted among the Blades of the Lady of Blessed Murder, and one step closer to the vengeance she desires. But a killer is loose within the Church’s halls, the bloody secrets of Mia’s past return to haunt her, and a plot to bring down the entire congregation is unfolding in the shadows she so loves.

Will she even survive to initiation, let alone have her revenge?

My review:
Holy crap this book was good! You can really tell that Kristoff doesn't believe in happy endings, sheesh. I'm going to try and give a spoiler free review, but trust me, that's going to be difficult... THE FEELS ARE SO STRONG! 

Nevernight took me a mega long time to read, about 2 months, because of school work and procrastination and all that jazz. So my memories of the start of the book are a little foggy, but I can definitely remember that it took me a super long time to get into it. The little notes at the bottom of the page kept breaking the story apart with some pretty boring and mostly useless facts. Yes, some were pretty witty, but that was rare.

But other than that, I can't really fault Nevernight! The characters were all great and their storylines just kept getting better. Plus Mr Kindly is fab AF. If I had the confidence to say what I wanted when I wanted, I'd sound just like Mr. Kindly... I'm so jealous of Mia when it comes to that shadow cat!

Let's talk about Tric. If you've read Nevernight then you'll probably know my pain. Tric's past is heart-breaking, Tric's present is heart-breaking and Tric's future is heart-breaking. The epilogue was the most satisfying thing ever, the death of a character has never been so satisfying. Tric, everyone loves you. <3

To put Tric aside for a second, THAT ENDING THOUGH!! I can honestly say that did not see that major plot twist coming! The only thing I can say about those is that they are what I call slippery Salmons (Incase you want to know what that little inside joke means, I'll fill you in, it's basically my family's version of calling somebody a snake. But me and my brother's like snakes, so we say that someone is a 'slippery salmon' instead. It's a bit weird, but weird is my family's motto).

I can't really go into much detail because all the best bits are massive spoilers. So if you're wondering why this review is a bit of a flop, that's why. But seriously, if you've got the book, read it. The little foot-note things got easier and the ending makes this book close to perfection. If you've bought this book or got it in owlcrate or something like that, don't put it off, it's wonderful! Plus, I NEED someone to discuss the feels with!



Have you read Nevernight yet? Experiencing heartbreak at the hands of Kristoff? Need the second book now? Let's talk about it in the comments!

Follow me! Twitter          Instagram

Contact me! theintrovertswonderland@gmail.com







monthly funko pop vinyls

No comments:

Post a Comment