Sunday 14 August 2016

I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have To Kill You by Ally Carter: Review

6937524Author: Ally Carter
Originally Published: April 25, 2006
Genre: Young Adult Fiction
Publisher: Orchard Books
Pages: 305
Source: Bought
Series: Gallagher Girls 
Price: £13.60 (Library Binding from Amazon)
           £5.99 (Paperback from Amazon)
           £3.99 (Kindle Edition)


About the book (Taken from the blurb):

Cammie Morgan might be capable of killing a man in seven different ways, but she's about to begin her most dangerous mission yet: falling in love.


My review: 

This book left me with three thoughts... 1)I really want to go to the Gallagher Academy, 2)This book is so darn cute and 3)Why did I not read this years ago?


There's never a dull moment when you're immersed in this world. You're either worrying about the boy, or worried about the friends, or wondering how a girl can be so super cool. Like, seriously, how can Cammie be so awesome? It's a mystery to me. But all the worrying and all the awesomeness just makes you want to read more and more and more until there's nothing more to read. It's super addicting. If I ever want to know what taking cocaine is like, I'll just re-read this, it's practically the same thing, only it's much more legal. 


Some parts of it were pretty dark too. Which, for any of you who read a lot of my posts would know, is a pretty good thing. But I mean really dark, like a completely shocking type of dark. It was just so unexpected! I thought this was going to be a light and happy sort of story that was for people that were much younger that 16. I was wrong. Sure, other than the dark parts, someone a lot younger than 16 could have read it. But if I read this at, say, 11, some parts would have scarred me. There's one part in particular (no spoilers, of course) that people that have read it might remember. It's pretty early on, when they finish their cove-ops mission, and at 11 what followed would have probably given me nightmares for a month. I might have just been a wuss of a child but it would have scared me immensely. But, even if child-me wouldn't have liked it, less-of-a-child-me loved it. Well, 'loved' might be too strong, 'thought it necessary' would probably be better. The dark parts increased the tension drastically and kept you on edge throughout the rest of the story.  Which shows what a phenomenal writer Ms. Carter truly is.

To wrap this up, if you don't read this book now, you'll regret it when you finally do read it. It's a stroke of genius and I'm definitely going to read the next one in the near future. Who wouldn't want to read a book that's as addictive as cocaine? So, even though I wouldn't recommend it if you're less than 12 (unless you're less of a pansy than I was), I'd recommend it to anyone else. What are you waiting for? Read away nerdlings. 

Have you already read all the books in the series? Did you enjoy dark fiction as a child? Am I exaggerating? Let me know in the comments!

Follow me! Twitter
Contact me! E-Mail

monthly funko pop vinyls

No comments:

Post a Comment